Are you also a victim of the fatty hump behind your shoulders, known as the buffalo hump. So, if you are wondering what causes the hump on the back of your neck, you need to know that there are many causes of this condition that you will get to know in this web blog. It mainly occurs due to excess fat accumulation behind your shoulders. If you have this, there might be times when you feel incredibly self-conscious about your posture or, while driving, you can’t move your neck properly. If you are seeking treatment options, let’s dive into the causes first:
Causes of buffalo hump:
Medications: The constant use of corticosteroid medicines for inflammatory conditions can cause fat redistribution that accumulates behind your shoulders.
Cushing’s syndrome is a condition that occurs when you produce an excess amount of cortisol. It can occur due to excess fat build-up that affects your production of certain hormones. It can also develop as a side effect of consuming steroids.
Madelung’s disease: It is a rare condition that affects fat metabolism. It can cause an unusual build-up of fat around your neck, shoulders, hips, upper arms, and thighs. Moreover, this disease usually affects people between the ages of 30 and 70, primarily alcoholics.
Obesity: A hump behind your shoulder might be related to the excess fat accumulation from obesity.
- Observe from a complete medical history
- Current medications
- Evaluating suspicious moles
- Conducting a physical exam of the spine
- Using X-rays to check the alignment of vertebrae
- Conducting bone density tests
- Testing breathing capacity
- Using an MRI scan to see whether there is compression of the spinal cord
- Performing a physical exam to evaluate abnormalities in the skin and underlying tissues.
So, these are the causes and a way to diagnose the buffalo hump. For its treatment, there are non-surgical ways and surgical ways. However, surgical methods require thousands of dollars, and the complications after surgery differ from the price you want to pay. So, it would be better to look for how to get rid of the neck hump at home. Here are some treatment options that might help your condition:
Neck hump treatment at home:
- If the use of certain medications is causing a hump behind your shoulder, then consulting your doctor is recommended to investigate alternatives. You can also get a prescription for medicines to block the excess cortisol production or the effects of cortisol on your tissues.
- Moreover, you can incorporate some lifestyle changes, such as a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and exercise to lose weight or physical therapy to learn some neck hump exercises.
- You can also add a massage into your daily routine for effective results. For example, you can use a neck hump treatment device. It is a portable device with ultrasonic far-infrared technology that penetrates deeper into your skin to help dissolve accumulated fat. You can easily purchase this online.
A neck hump can lower your self-esteem, impacting your personal and professional life. It can occur due to underlying medical conditions such as Cushing syndrome and certain medications. You can determine this condition through a physical exam and a medical history review. For treatment at home, the above best neck hump treatment options are practical approaches to eliminate that ugly hump behind your back. However, it would be best if you were consistent with the treatment options to see some changes. Moreover, it is essential to maintain a healthy weight, be involved in exercises like tai-chi and water aerobics, and maintain a good posture.